Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Surviving the Cold

The arctic freeze hit home here in Indy. A foot of snow dropped Sunday followed  by temperatures dropping at times to -20 degrees Farenheit. A foot of snow isn't significant for this Utah girl, but for Indiana it's monumental. That, and the plummeting temperatures, was enough to send this city into lock down mode.

Thousands lost power (and heat) in their homes. Fortunately, we weren't among them.

The kids and I survived for three days locked in at home by eating lots of yummy food and watching way more movies than should be allowed. I even gussied up enough motivation/boredom to complete a refinishing project I began way back in October.

I poked my nose out the door a time or two, and it was enough to send me reeling for a blanket and space heater. I should have stepped up to the plate and shoveled the driveway some, but I let Matt--who likely has strep throat--handle that feat.

Matt ventured out both Sunday and Monday. He worked Sunday morning, but arrived home before the worst of the storm hit. Even though his clinics closed down Monday and Tuesday, he still had to interview residency applicants Monday morning. Roads, he said, were treacherous--and not even the interstate was plowed.

Though school was canceled again today, the kids and I just had to get out! Skylie didn't even protest too much when I insisted she get in real clothes instead of her beloved jammies. That folks, is sayin' somethin'!

We're excited at the prospect of warmer temperatures! Earlier today Skylie asked if we could "pretty please move to Georgia where it's really warm". Maybe then we'd have weather reports like this:



I hope you too are staying warm. :)

1 comment:

sarita said...

I love the picture of the tree covered in ice! Freezing rain is so beautiful and so dangerous at the same time...glad you were able to stay warm and safe!