Today was rough. It's one in the morning, and I'm still don't feel like I've quite caught my breath. In fact, I just got out of bed to eat lunch/dinner because I realized I felt ravished since the last two meals got skipped. (Not by the children, of course, just me.)
I'm on day three of potty training Skylie. It has gone surprisingly well and she's caught on to the whole idea like a champ. I'm amazed, and I mean AMAZED that my strong-willed two-year-old has relented to sitting on her throne every 20 minutes for the past three days. (Thank you chocolate chips and marshmallows!)
With that being said I don't think there's anything super easy about potty training. Continually taking her to the bathroom, trying to be super excited about all things potty, and attempting to function and take care of an infant is no walk in the park. Today I had two cute one-year-olds over for a few hours as well, and well--toddlers are toddlers and they don't make any job easy.
From 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. I felt like there was always someone who needed my attention. Even now, ironically, my infant has woken up and is fussing (Let's see if she goes back to sleep on her own.). Once my little ones were finally asleep the house was (and is still) in complete disarray. Matt worked late tonight, and when he arrived home he described the situation well: "It looks like you've been watching a bunch of kids and potty training at the same time."
A few days ago a coworker of Matt's ignorantly (and I mean that in the kindest way--he simply hasn't experienced motherhood) suggested that I could "volunteer to fill my time". I didn't say much to his comment, but inside I laughed as I imagined: Me, hauling my rambunctious two-year-old and baby to a soup kitchen to dish out meals. Yes, that is exactly what I should do because this 24/7 job of motherhood isn't enough. ;)
Adieu. I'm now going to volunteer some of my time to my baby.
P.S. Anyone want to dispense their potty training wisdom to me? I'm all ears.
Friday, December 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm sorry you had our girls for so long. Ugh! Let me come help you clean tomorrow if that will help you feel better! But, I'm very impressed with your determination to potty train! And don't forget to eat yourself silly! Otherwise you won't feel good! And if the Mommy doesn't feel good, she has a harder time handling everything else. I know that's true.
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.
I'm taking on potty training when we get back from Maryland, before the holidays. I've been delaying and delaying because... well, you know exactly why.
Count your blessings that Skylie is excited about the whole thing and doing great at it. Good luck on your volunteering =)
That co-worker of Matt's probably needs to get punched in the face. "Volunteer"...geeesh! He should have to make that statement in a room full of mothers (that would be something)! Potty training had me in tears MANY MANY times. I'd rather go through labor again than potty train :) Good luck!!!
I felt EXACTLY the same way when I was potting training Hayden...Kyra was only a couple of months old. The good news is, it will all get done somehow, even if the non-essentials don't. I just try to remember to savor the moments in my day because they only happen once. Good luck!
I have been doing the exact same thing with Jackson and Holden these past few weeks. I feel like I have spent all day, every day in the bathroom.
Finally, just yesterday, Jackson started to tell me that he needed to go. He has not pooped yet, though. He keeps telling me he will do that tomorrow!
Just keep up the good work, lots of treats and tons of praise, regardless of accidents, and she will have it down before you know it! You will be so glad when you only have one dirty bum to change.
Yeah, people who think moms of little ones, working out of the home or not, have spare time to fill, are so clueless. You probably should be napping when you have any free time.
We miss you! Your girls are so adorable! Hope you are having a fun Christmas season!
I don't know that I know the tricks for Potty Training. Just be patient. At first it seems a hopeless cause but it will click. As for paint I have been using stuff from Home Depot and Lowes too. I did use the walmart brand with our old apartment in Des MOines. It was the yellow paint i used in the family room. I have to say I didn't do the best job pickin the color but the paint itself was fine. Just make sure you get something with a little gloss in it. I will have to give it a try too cause my budget isn't what I want it to be either:)
Post a Comment