Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Humbled

Matt and I are reading Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle. (Matt's the one really reading it. I just browse the parts he says I'd like.) It's cool—and very humbling—to learn how they handled nearly two decades of schooling for Elder Nelson to become a full-fledged heart surgeon.

A couple stories have had me thinking all week.

First story:
Sister Nelson never complained about having no new furniture in their apartment, or about the fact that they had to live in apartments—even after they'd had several children. Only once did Sister Nelson express any longing for nicer things. Elder Nelson explains it best: "I pay tribute to Sister Nelson, who never murmured because she had to make do with very little. I recall an experience one night in downtown Boston. We were walking along Boylston Street. There we passed a furniture store. Sister Nelson pressed her nose against the windowpane and asked, 'Do you think we will ever be able to afford a lamp?'"
See also Russell M. Nelson, "Faith and Families," Ensign, Mar 2007, 36–41.

Second story:
Sister Nelson also never got upset when Elder Nelson had to miss a child's recital or performance for a medical emergency. She'd simply tell their kids, "Dad had something very important come up, so he won't be able to join us. But we're going to have fun anyway." For a while during Elder Nelson's residency he'd only be home for seven hours every two days (all of which were while their kids slept). And still, Sister Nelson never complained.

She's pretty amazing, huh. And I definitely have a long way to go!

1 comment:

sarita said...

I really need to stop complaining so much!

By the way, what happened to Matt and Erin's Lovefest????