Sunday, July 11, 2010

Update

I've been meaning to post this for weeks and simply haven't gotten to it.

Matt:

  • Finished his ob/gyn rotation at Broadlawns last Friday. He'd been on call for about 2 1/2 weeks straight, but fortunately hadn't gotten called in too much.
  • Is studying hard for the second set of boards which he'll take August 17.
  • Is preparing for the upcoming year or craziness which will consist of
  1. Testing at DMU this week
  2. Traveling for four months on three audition rotations (Texas, Michigan, Virginia), and one international rotation (South Africa)
  3. Taking boards August 17
  4. Flying to Philadelphia in October to take a physical diagnosis exam, something all medial students have to do before graduating (It'll be his last test as a medical student! Hurray!)
  5. Applying for 50 some-odd residency programs
  6. Flying to residency interviews November through January
  7. Matching to a residency program early spring
  8. Agreeing with me on the home I pick out :) (BTW: Last weekend we were at a BBQ at friends house. I said, "Matt, isn't it nice to be in a real yard." He responded, "Only ten more years, Erin, and you'll have a yard, too. That's all." I did not agree with him on that.)
  9. Graduating med school the end of May

Erin:

  • Still working (For those of you who try to remember my work schedule, I'll now be in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays, now.)
  • Found sitter for Skylie
  • Got our blog printed into a book a few months ago
  • Taking Skylie to splash pads, parks, and mall play areas every chance I get
  • Trying to forget about the long three months ahead of me while Matt's out of state. I'm coping by focusing on how much less laundry and cooking I'll do. (That's not really working, considering Matt did the laundry last night. And made most of dinner.)
  • Love teaching my Primary class and get a kick out of the funny things they say. See example below.

Each week at the beginning of class, I let the kids say one sentence about their week and one sentence about service they did that week. I've never heard so many run on sentences in my life, but that's the only way I've been able to remotely limit how long they chat.

Last week one seven-year-old girl told us about her week and was doing one of those long, "and I did this and I did ...and I did...and... and... and..."

Me: "Thanks (insert girls' name). Who wants to go next?"

Her: "Umm, excuse me. I wasn't done yet."

1 comment:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Sounds like you will be very busy for the next few months (not like your not already busy)! Where in TX is Matt coming? Is it anywhere close to us? Good job getting you blog into a book, I need to get on top of that!